Frequently Asked Questions
If the answer to your question is not here, please contact your local DogWatch dealer or Contact Us. We welcome your questions.
What is a DogWatch® Hidden Fence System?
The DogWatch Hidden Fence is a pet fencing system that uses an electronic FM radio signal to keep your dog IN a designated containment area, such as a yard; or OUT of an area, such as a swimming pool, patio, or garden. Our pet containment fences also work in the interior of your home to keep your pet off a couch or away from a kitchen counter.
How does it work?
A hidden wire, buried underground, carries the harmless, low level FM radio signal around the containment area. Your dog wears a receiver on a collar that emits a mild stimulation, or correction, when he gets too close to the boundary. With an indoor dog containment fence, the hidden wire runs around your couch or other containment area and is invisible to the eye. We also have "wireless" indoor units that do not require placement of a boundary wire! Ask your local Dealer to show you the options.
How does my dog learn where the boundary is?
Your pet is trained by a DogWatch Dealer and learns the containment area through voice commands, audible warning signals from the receiver collar and visual flags that are set inside the hidden fence. Your dog goes through a training session with you for a few minutes each day for 7 to 10 days. With training, the dog remembers the placement of the flags and is taught to stay within the containment area. During the training period, flags are slowly taken away. If your dog goes to within 5-10 feet of the boundary, he’ll hear a warning sound indicating he’s too close to the containment fence. If the dog reaches the boundary, he will receive a mild correction.
How is DogWatch different from Invisible Fence® and other brands?
The DogWatch® Hidden Fence brand is often confused with the Invisible Fence® brand and may be mistakenly referred to generically as an "invisible fence". DogWatch is not affiliated with the Invisible Fence® company. At DogWatch, we utilize exclusive safety and convenience features that make DogWatch the best in the pet containment industry. There are significant differences, for example:
- DogWatch is the only hidden fence system that uses an FM radio frequency. Other pet containment systems such as Invisible Fence®, utilize an AM radio frequency which is more susceptible to unsecure AM or DM signals which can cause false corrections to your pet even when they’re not near the underground fence. The digital FM signal used by DogWatch is the most secure and safest for your pet.
- Most of our receivers have a two-year battery life — an average of eight times longer than the other brands, including the Invisible Fence® brand. When the battery runs out, guess who else runs out? Our long battery life helps keep your pet safe, costs a fraction of what you pay for other pet containment systems, and is good for the environment.
- In addition to low battery replacement costs compared to Invisible Fence® and other brands, you also save with DogWatch because you can purchase batteries for the DogWatch system from any source and you do not need a service call from a Dealer to replace them as is required by most other brands. For your convenience, we have an optional battery replacement plan to ensue you always have a new battery when you need it.
- Our R7 and R9 receiver collars have a status light that is easy to view and a great convenience feature for our customers. It tells you if the receiver is operating properly, indicates what training level you’re using, and when the battery power is low.
- DogWatch includes a unique feature that allows you to correct your dog with an audible-only reminder when he approaches the electric fence. Invisible Fence® does not offer this pet-friendly™ feature.
- DogWatch features the broadest pet training range in the industry. Whether your pet is very timid or highly energetic, we have a distinct training level that uniquely meets their needs.
- YOU can adjust our patented, programmable receiver to the training level that works best for your pet's personality and size. No need for a service call or any other charges.
Invisible Fence® is a registered trademark of Invisible Fence, Inc.
Are there other benefits to the DogWatch Hidden Fence?
- Our R7 and R9 receivers have our exclusive AutoMemory™ feature. The receiver constantly monitors and automatically adjusts the training level for your dog if he "challenges" his boundary.
- Both receivers feature FastReact™ — the fastest response time in the industry. At .125 of a second, if your pet challenges the electric fence the receiver will react immediately — at the beginning of the avoidance zone — not when he’s half way through. This feature helps ensure your pet responds to the hidden dog fence while still INSIDE the containment area.
- Our pet-friendly audible-only training level that allows you to train your dog using an audible "beep" tone before you introduce him to the correction setting. Once trained, most dogs respond to the audible warning tone and do not challange the boundary. Some customers set the system to audible-only after the dog is trained.
- Your transmitter constantly monitors your electronic dog fence and lets you know if you have a break in your underground wire.
- Your DogWatch Hidden Fence System has a lifetime equipment warranty when installed by an authorized DogWatch Dealer.
- All authorized DogWatch Dealers provide you with superior technology and products to keep your pet safe and contained. Additionally, your DogWatch Dealer is an independent businessperson, fence installer, and pet trainer who lives and works within your community. He or she is ready to provide you with courteous and prompt customer service.
Will the stimulation from the collar hurt my dog?
No. This type of stimulation has been used in dog training for over 40 years. And the amount of correction can be adjusted so that a dog receives the appropriate level of stimulation for its size. DogWatch products are used and recommended by veterinarians.
Will the system work for more than one dog?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of dogs (or cats) our hidden pet fencing can protect at one time.
Is the system safe during a lightning storm?
The DogWatch Hidden Fence System has both an internal lightning surge protector in the transmitter as well as an external surge protector.
What if my house loses electrical power?
If you experience frequent power loss, your Dealer can add a DogWatch PowerPak. This auxiliary power supply provides hours of power to your electronic fence until your household electrical service can be restored.
How much does it cost?
DogWatch Hidden Fencing can cost much less than traditional dog fencing and do far more. For example, you can contain your dog IN your yard, but keep him OUT of a pool area, garden or driveway gate. Contact your local Dealer for an estimate on your individual property. Our systems are in small urban yards and 200 acre orchards.
What if I move?
Once you buy the system, you can expand it or take it with you when you move.
How big an area will the system cover? What kinds of areas will it cover?
DogWatch offers models that can cover properties up to 200 acres. You can contain your dog in or out of most anywhere, including interior features of your home such as couches, dining rooms, and counter tops. Contact your local DogWatch Dealer for a free consultation and estimate.
How does my dog learn to use it?
Typically, your Dealer will conduct initial training with you and your dog. DogWatch has developed an in-depth pet training program that takes about 10-15 minutes per day for two weeks.
Does it keep other dogs out?
The DogWatch Hidden Fence system is designed to keep your dog at home and out of trouble. It will only keep other dogs out if they are wearing a DogWatch receiver.
How old does my dog have to be before training begins?
All dogs are different. Even within the same breed some dogs may mature earlier than others. When your DogWatch Dealer meets with you and your pet, he or she will evaluate your dog and make a recommendation as to when training should begin.
Will a DogWatch system work with any dog?
Our systems work with all breeds, ages, and sizes of dogs. However, this type of product is not intended for use with dogs that have a history of aggressive behavior.
Can my dog get out of the containment area?
If the initial training was done properly, this will rarely happen. If your dog does get out, check to make sure the collar is on securely. On our new receivers, check the status light. You may also increase the range of the signal to keep the dog further from the hidden fence or increase the correction level. Perhaps due to recent landscaping, there is a break in your underground wire that is invisible to your eye. Your Dealer is also available to support you. There are many ways to adjust your DogWatch System. Call your Dealer or DogWatch Customer Service if you need help.
Is there a guarantee on the DogWatch System?
We offer a lifetime equipment warranty on our outdoor systems installed by an authorized Dealer. There is also a limited 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the system.
Where are your Dealers located?
DogWatch Hidden Fence Systems Dealers are located throughout the continental United States, Alaska, and in many other countries around the world. Check our Dealer Locator to find an authorized DogWatch Dealer near you.
What else do I need to know about DogWatch?
We’ve been surrounding pets with freedom since 1990 and we offer the only pet containment fence that uses an FM signal to protect your pet from the random corrections that sometimes happen with other systems. We’re a privately-owned, people-oriented company that takes pride in our quality customer service. Our engineers constantly research and develop new ways to make our products the safest for your pet and the easiest for you to use in your home. We strive to create the best pet containment products in the industry. We'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Contact customer service at 1(800) 793-3436 (M-F, 9:00am -5:00pm EST.)
Click Here to learn more about how we can solve your hidden fence needs today!
We want to tell you how much we all love DogWatch Hidden Fence. Maggie is doing so well with it, within the first few days she was doing great. The big test was Easter Sunday when my whole family showed up at once and Maggie stayed right in the yard and waited very patiently for everyone to come over that line and say hello, I was very impressed!! She really did catch on quick! Thank you for everything!