Play Ball, Fido! Dog-Friendly Major League Baseball Games for the 2017 Season
Batter up! The 2017 Major League Baseball season is officially underway, and we’re looking forward to cheering on our favorite teams. In recent years, many ball parks have held events that welcome our furry friends into the stands, too. So this year we’ve rounded up some of these upcoming events sure to delight all you baseball-loving dog owners out there. Check ‘em out, and see if your local team has joined the dog-friendly club!
We’ve chosen to focus on MLB teams in this post, but there are plenty of minor league teams that have similar pet-themed events. Check out your team’s website to see if they have a dog-friendly event coming up!
- Boston Red Sox: DogWatch’s hometown team will be hosting a “Dog Day at Fenway” event this summer, with the date to be announced soon. (Check back here in a few weeks – we’ll post more information once we have it.) Last year’s event, which took place when the Sox were on the road, featured photo-ops with World Series trophies, a walk along the warning track and more fun, dog-friendly activities. We can’t wait to bring our pups to visit the Green Monster!
- Chicago White Sox: The White Sox will be announcing a date for this year’s “Bark in the Park” event soon. Stay tuned! In the meantime, enjoy these photos from last season’s record-breaking Bark at the Park event, attended by a whopping 1,122 canines.
- Detroit Tigers: We’re still waiting on word from the Tigers about the status of this year’s “Bark in the Park” event, but in the meantime, pick up tickets for the Tigers vs. the Boston Red Sox at Comerica Park on Saturday April 8 at 1:10PM and help out some local dogs! This ticket package includes a game ticket, T-Shirt, dog bandanna and a five-dollar donation to Detroit Dog Rescue.
- Houston Astros: Sunday, September 17, 2017 is “Dog Day” at Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros. The Astros will play the Seattle Mariners, and the game starts at 1:10pm. Tickets will be available soon, so check back soon for a link and more details.
- Kansas City Royals: The first of three “Bark at The Park” events at Kauffman Stadium is coming up soon! Dogs are invited to the Wednesday, April 19, 2017 game vs the San Francisco Giants at 7:15pm, as well as the May 30, 2017 game vs the Detroit Tigers and the August 30, 2017 game vs the Tampa Bay Rays. Registration is currently available for both the April 19 event and the May 30 event. Last year’s events sold out, so get your tickets fast, Royals fans!
- Oakland Athletics: The Oakland A’s “Bark at the Park” event will be held at the Oakland Coliseum on Friday, July 14, 2017. The A’s will play the Cleveland Indians at 7:05pm. Tickets are on sale now through Sunday, July 9, 2017, so get yours before they’re gone! They’re even hosting a Twitter Photo Contest at the event. Sounds like a lot of fun!
- Seattle Mariners: Seattle lives up to its dog-friendly reputation by hosting not one, not two, but THREE “Bark at the Park” nights at Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners. They will be held on Thursday, May 18, 2017 (vs. the Chicago White Sox), Thursday, July 6, 2017 (vs. the Oakland Athletics) and Tuesday, September 5, 2017 (vs. the Houston Astros), and all will be evening games, starting at 7:10pm. With this many opportunities, Seattleites would be silly NOT to bring their pup to the park!
- Tampa Bay Rays: This month – April 23, 2017 to be exact – the Tampa Bay Rays will host a “Dog Day at the Rays” at Tropicana Field. The Rays will play the Houston Astros at 1:10pm. Hurry up, Rays fans, because the deadline to order tickets is Friday, April 21 at 11:59 p.m. ET!
- Texas Rangers: The Rangers will host their 12th Annual “Bark at the Park” on Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 7:05pm at Globe Life Park. Texas will face the Oakland Athletics in this matchup. There’ll also be a Elvis Andrus/Rougned Odor High Five Bobblehead giveaway that night – just make sure you don’t let your dog chew on it!
The following teams have no dog-friendly games or events listed on their 2017 schedule:
- Baltimore Orioles
- Cleveland Indians
- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- New York Yankees
- Minnesota Twins
- Toronto Blue Jays
- Arizona Diamondbacks: The D’backs are hosting a “Bark at the Park” on Sunday, September 10, 2017 during their 1:10pm game versus the San Diego Padres. Don’t worry, the park is air-conditioned, so your pups can stay cool despite the hot Phoenix sun. And thanks to Phoenix-based pet retailer PetSmart, dogs will be welcome at Chase Field for 12 Sunday afternoon games and 8 Monday evening games in 2017! Dog owners and their pets will have their own dedicated seating and concessions area, PetSmart Patio, and their own indoor/outdoor dog park, PetSmart Park. These dog-friendly ticket packages are available here. Phoenix-area pups sure are lucky dogs!
- Cincinnati Reds: Cincinnati Reds fans will get FOUR chances to bring their dog to see their favorite team play at Great American Ball Park. The Reds are hosting “Bark in the Park” events at the following games: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 vs. the Pittsburgh Pirates; Wednesday, June 7, 2017 vs. the St. Louis Cardinals; Tuesday, August 29, 2017 vs. the New York Mets; and Thursday, September 21, 2017 vs. the St. Louis Cardinals. The games start at 7:10pm, but be there early for the pregame pet parade at 6:30pm. These games tend to sell out fast, so don’t miss out, Cincinnati!
- Colorado Rockies: The Rockies are hosting a “Bark at the Park” event at Coors Field on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 6:40pm vs. the Atlanta Braves. Ticket packages include a Bark at the Park water bowl and a Colorado Rockies Bark at the Park bandana, and $1 of every ticket purchased will go to support Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF). Tickets typically sell out fast, so get yours ASAP!
- Los Angeles Dodgers: LA dogs, you’re invited to Dodger Stadium on Saturday, May 20 for “Pups at the Park.” Fans and their pups will enjoy a pre-game pup activity center from 5:15-6:00pm, a pup parade on the field from 6:00-6:30pm, and the 7:10pm game vs. the Miami Marlins. And if your dog is not a fan of crowds and would prefer to stay home while you enjoy a night out, consider grabbing tickets to the Monday, September 25, 2017 game vs the San Diego Padres at 7:10pm. It’s the Dodgers’ first “Dog Lovers Night” and ticket-holders get an exclusive Dodgers’ Dog Lovers Night Leash!
- Miami Marlins: The Marlins are hosting their annual “Bark at the Park” event at Marlins Park on Saturday, June 3rd at 1:10pm vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks. This year, the Marlins are trying to beat the Chicago White Sox’s record for the most dogs ever to attend a baseball game. Help them beat the record and help out a good cause, too! A portion of the proceeds from the event will go to support the Humane Society of Greater Miami.
- Milwaukee Brewers: Rejoice, Milwaukee dog lovers! The Brewers are hosting their first ever “Bark at the Park” event at Miller Park on Tuesday, June 6 at 6:40pm vs. the San Francisco Giants. All dogs will receive a collapsible Brewers dog dish, plus the first 300 dogs signed up will have the opportunity to participate in a pregame parade around the warning track with their owner. To top it off, a portion of all Bark at the Park ticket packages will go to the Wisconsin Humane Society. Here’s your chance to make this a new annual tradition!
- New York Mets: Mets fans will have two chances to take their dogs to Citi Field this season. The Mets’ first “Bark at the Park” is coming up soon on Sunday April 9 vs the Miami Marlins at 8:00pm, with the second event coming later in the season, on Monday, September 4 at 1:10pm vs. the Philadelphia Phillies. The Mets are partnering with the North Shore Animal League, the largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization in the world.
- (UPDATE) Philadelphia Phillies: Philly’s home team is hosting a “Phillies Bark at the Park” event on Friday, May 26, 2017, when the Phillies will play the Cincinnati Reds at 7:05 p.m. Tickets are now available, but hurry up, because Bark in the Park is limited to the first 300 dogs who sign up. You don’t want to miss a chance to parade with your dog on Citizens Bank Park Field, do you?
- Pittsburgh Pirates: The Pittsburgh Pirates are HUGE dogs fans, and they’re opening PNC Park to pups for 13 Tuesday night games this season. (Wow!) The “Pup Nights at PNC Park” dates are: April 11, 2017 vs. the Cincinnati Reds (with a treat bag giveaway); April 25, 2017 vs. the Chicago Cubs (with a ball thrower giveaway); May 16, 2017 vs. the Washington Nationals; May 30, 2017 vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks; June 13, 2017 vs. the Colorado Rockies; July 27, 2017 vs. the Tampa Bay Rays; July 18, 2017 vs. the Milwaukee Brewers; August 1, 2017 vs. the Cincinnati Reds; August 8, 2017 vs. the Detroit Tigers; August 22, 2017 vs. the Los Angeles Dodgers; September 5, 2017 vs. the Chicago Cubs; September 19, 2017 vs. the Milwaukee Brewers (with a placement giveaway); and September 26, 2017 vs. the Baltimore Orioles. All games start at 7:05pm. With so many options, we may need to take a road trip to Pittsburgh!
- San Diego Padres: The Padres play in Petco Park, so you bet they have a dog-friendly game on their schedule! The Padres are hosting “Dogs Days of Summer” event on Thursday, June 29, 2017 vs. the Atlanta Braves at 6:10pm. There’s not a lot of info on this event yet, but check back soon. We’ll post more information once we have it.
- San Francisco Giants: San Francisco is known as the most dog-friendly city in America, so of course their baseball team, the San Francisco Giants, is welcoming dogs into their park this summer. AT&T Park is hosting a “Dog Days of Summer” event during the game on Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 1:05pm vs. the Minnesota Twins. There’s not a lot of info on this event yet, but check back soon. We’ll post more information once we have it.
- St. Louis Cardinals: The Cardinals are hosting the 13th Annual “Purina Pooches in the Ballpark” at Busch Stadium on Saturday, May 20 at 6:15pm vs. the San Francisco Giants. All participants will receive a Cardinals Pet Bowl and a Purina goodie-bag, and before the game, there will be dock diving exhibition and pre-game costume parade around the warning track. So get those costumes ready, pups and get your tickets when they go on sale on Thursday April 13, 2017!
- Washington Nationals: Back by “pup-ular” demand, the Nationals are excited to welcome dogs into Nationals Park for SIX games this season! “Pups in the Park” will be held during the follow games: Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 1:05pm vs. the New York Mets; Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 7:05pm vs. the Philadelphia Phillies; Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 12:05pm vs. the Texas Rangers; Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 1:35pm vs. the Cincinnati Reds; Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 7:05pm vs. the Philadelphia Phillies; and Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 7:05pm vs. the Pittsburgh Pirates. Proceeds from your pup’s ticket will benefit Humane Rescue Alliance in Washington, DC. Good work, Nationals!
The following teams have no dog-friendly games or events listed on their 2017 schedule:
- Atlanta Braves
- Chicago Cubs
Note: Check your team’s website for more information about these events and event requirements (size limit, vaccination records, etc.).
Know about any dog-friendly baseball events in your area that we missed? Tell us in the comments, or share them on our Facebook page!
Featured Image: “DSC_0204” by Patrick Nelson Fromm is licensed under CC BY 2.0. (Image is cropped.)
Middle Image: “DOG_2761” by Cathy T is licensed under CC BY 2.0. (Image is cropped.)
Bottom Image: “DSC_0197” by Patrick Nelson Fromm is licensed under CC BY 2.0. (Image is cropped.)