- What is a DogWatch® Hidden Fence System?
The DogWatch Hidden Fence is a pet fencing system that uses an electronic FM radio signal to keep your dog in a designated containment area, such as a yard; or out of an area, such as a swimming pool, patio, or garden. We also have Indoor Boundaries that work inside your home to keep your pet off a couch, out of a room or away from a kitchen counter.
- How does it work?
A hidden wire, buried underground, carries the harmless, low level FM radio signal around the containment area. Your dog wears a receiver on a collar that emits a mild stimulation, or correction, when he gets too close to the boundary. With an indoor dog containment fence, the hidden wire runs around your couch or other containment area and is invisible to the eye. We also have “wireless” indoor units that do not require placement of a boundary wire! Ask your local Dealer to show you the options.
- How does my dog learn where the boundary is?
Your pet is trained by a DogWatch Dealer and learns the containment area through voice commands, audible warning signals from the receiver collar and visual flags that are set inside the hidden fence. Your dog goes through a training session with you for a few minutes each day for about two weeks. Your Dealer will develop a plan to meet the specific training needs of your pet(s).
With training, the dog remembers the placement of the flags and is taught to stay within the containment area. During the training period, flags are slowly taken away. If your dog gets too close to the boundary, he’ll hear a warning sound (or feel a vibration) that alerts him to stop. If the dog continues beyond the warning zone, he will receive a mild correction. After training, most dogs stop before receiving the correction.
- How is DogWatch different from Invisible Fence® and other brands?
The DogWatch® Hidden Fence brand is often confused with the Invisible Fence® brand and may be mistakenly referred to generically as an “invisible fence”. DogWatch is not affiliated with the Invisible Fence® company. At DogWatch, we utilize exclusive safety and convenience features that make DogWatch the best in the pet containment industry. There are significant differences, for example:
DogWatch is the only hidden fence system that uses an FM radio frequency.
- Other pet containment systems such as Invisible Fence®, utilize an AM radio frequency which is more susceptible to unsecure AM or DM signals which can cause false corrections to your pet even when they’re not near the underground fence. The digital FM signal used by DogWatch is the most secure and safest for your pet.
- Most of our receivers have a two-year battery life — an average of eight times longer than the other brands, including the Invisible Fence® brand. When the battery runs out, guess who else runs out? Our long battery life helps keep your pet safe, costs a fraction of what you pay for other pet containment systems, and is good for the environment.
- In addition to low battery replacement costs compared to Invisible Fence® and other brands, you also save with DogWatch because you can purchase batteries for the DogWatch system from any source and you do not need a service call from a Dealer to replace them as is required by most other brands. For your convenience, we have an optional battery replacement plan to ensue you always have a new battery when you need it.
- Our R7 and R9 receiver collars have a status light that is easy to view and a great convenience feature for our customers. It tells you if the receiver is operating properly, indicates what training level you’re using, and when the battery power is low.
- DogWatch includes a unique feature that allows you to correct your dog with an audible-only reminder when he approaches the electric fence. Invisible Fence® does not offer this Pet Friendly™ feature.
- DogWatch features the broadest pet training range in the industry. Whether your pet is very timid or highly energetic, we have a distinct training level that uniquely meets their needs.
- You can adjust our patented, programmable receiver to the training level that works best for your pet’s personality and size. No need for a service call or any other charges.
Invisible Fence™ is a registered trademark of Invisible Fence, Inc.
- Are there other benefits to the DogWatch Hidden Fence?
Our R7 and R9 receivers have our exclusive AutoMemory® feature. The receiver constantly monitors and automatically adjusts the training level for your dog if he “challenges” his boundary.
Both receivers feature FastReact® — the fastest response time in the industry. At .125 of a second, if your pet tests the hidden fence the receiver will react immediately — at the beginning of the avoidance zone — not when he’s half way through. This feature helps ensure your pet responds to the hidden dog fence while still INSIDE the containment area.
Our Pet Friendly™ audible-only training level that allows you to train your dog using an audible “beep” tone before you introduce him to the correction setting. Once trained, most dogs respond to the audible warning tone and do not test the boundary. Some customers set the system to audible-only after the dog is trained.
Your transmitter constantly monitors your electronic dog fence and lets you know if you have a break in your underground wire.
Your DogWatch Hidden Fence System has a lifetime equipment warranty when installed by an authorized DogWatch Dealer.
All authorized DogWatch Dealers provide you with superior technology and products to keep your pet safe and contained.
Additionally, your DogWatch Dealer is an independent businessperson, fence installer, and pet trainer who lives and works within your community. He or she is ready to provide you with courteous and prompt customer service.
- Will the system work for more than one dog?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of dogs (or cats) our hidden pet fencing can protect at one time.
- Will DogWatch work for my cat?
Yes! Both the Outdoor Hidden Fences and Indoor Boundaries work very well for cats. We have also trained pigs, goats and other animals on the DogWatch system.
- Is the system safe during a lightning storm?
The DogWatch Hidden Fence System has both an internal lightning surge protector in the transmitter as well as an external surge protector.
- What if my house loses electrical power?
If you experience frequent power loss, your Dealer can add a DogWatch PowerPak. This auxiliary power supply provides hours of power to your electronic fence until your household electrical service can be restored.
- How much does it cost?
DogWatch Hidden Fencing can cost much less than traditional dog fencing and do far more. For example, you can contain your dog in your yard, but keep him out of a pool area, garden or driveway gate. Contact your local Dealer for an estimate on your individual property. Our systems are in small urban yards and 200 acre orchards.
- How big an area will the system cover? What kinds of areas will it cover?
DogWatch offers models that can cover properties up to 200 acres. You can contain your dog in or out of most anywhere, including interior features of your home such as couches, dining rooms, and counter tops. Contact your local DogWatch Dealer for a free consultation and estimate.
- Does it keep other dogs out?
The DogWatch Hidden Fence system is designed to keep your dog at home and out of trouble. It will only keep other dogs out if they are wearing a DogWatch receiver.
- Will a DogWatch system work with any dog?
Our systems work with all breeds, ages, and sizes of dogs. However, this type of product is not intended for dogs that have a history of aggressive behavior.
- How old does my dog have to be before training begins?
All dogs are different. Even within the same breed some dogs may mature earlier than others. When your DogWatch Dealer meets with you and your pet, he or she will evaluate your dog and make a recommendation as to when training should begin.
- Can my dog get out of the containment area?
If the initial training was done properly, this will rarely happen. If your dog does get out, check to make sure the collar is on securely. On our new receivers, check the status light. You may also increase the range of the signal to keep the dog further from the hidden fence or increase the correction level. Perhaps due to recent landscaping, there is a break in your underground wire that is invisible to your eye. Your Dealer is also available to support you. There are many ways to adjust your DogWatch System. Call your Dealer or DogWatch Customer Service if you need help.
- Will the stimulation from the collar hurt my dog?
No. The “stimulation” from the collar is an unpleasant but harmless sensation similar to the static shock you receive after walking across a carpet in your socks. It is uncomfortable but it does not burn or injure the dog.
Although it is not related to the electronic stimulation, ‘pressure sores’ can be caused by a collar that is too tight and/or not removed regularly. The receiver collar is not designed to be worn for extended periods. Removing the collar when not in use helps prevent irritation of the dog’s skin.
This type of stimulation has been used safely and effectively for over 40 years. Today’s electronic collars are easily adjustable so that your dog receives the appropriate level of stimulation for its sensitivity, size and personality. DogWatch products are used and recommended by veterinarians.
- Is there a guarantee on the DogWatch System?
We offer a lifetime equipment warranty on our outdoor systems installed by an authorized Dealer. There is also a limited 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the system.
- Where are your Dealers located?
DogWatch Hidden Fence Systems Dealers are located throughout the continental United States, Alaska, and in many other countries around the world. Check our Dealer Locator to find an authorized DogWatch Dealer near you.
- What if I move?
You can take the your DogWatch system with you! You may need to have new wire installed at your new house, but your local DogWatch Dealer can use your existing equipment to create your new hidden fence.
- What else do I need to know about DogWatch?
We’ve been surrounding pets with freedom since 1990 and we offer the only pet containment fence that uses an FM signal to protect your pet from the random corrections that sometimes happen with other systems. We’re a privately-owned, people-oriented company that takes pride in our quality customer service. Our engineers constantly research and develop new ways to make our products the safest for your pet and the easiest for you to use in your home. We strive to create the best pet containment products in the industry. We’d be happy to answer any questions you have. Contact customer service at (800) 793-3436 (M-F, 9:00am-5:00pm EST).